Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Cows are Queens in Kodai


We've all heard that cows are sacred in India. Hearing it and actually witnessing the love/hate relationship that exists between the bovines and the residents is two different things. Every morning I sat with a cup of "coffee" outside and watched free roaming cows wander down the road into town. It was common to see said cows lying contentedly in the middle of an extremely busy street, motorists beeping incessantly "please sweet cow, move your ass!" The traffic in China, the crazy driving in Italy...believe me, none of it compares to the daily commute in India!
This day I also got my first exposure to Pasam Trust, my office for the next 2 weeks. Pasam means Love. This free clinic was founded and funded by a group of German doctors and yearly hosts huge burn and plastic surgery camps attended by folks from all around the world. For reasons I'm not quite sure of, the funding is dwindling and patients now do give a donation to help defray the cost of their treatments (think pennies not dollars). This is a photo of the wound care suite...the facilities are extremely lacking, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment